So, while they were trying to reintubate Sam, they found a blockage. It turns out he had a very severe mucus plug sitting on top of his vocal cords. This plug was blocking his airway, making it difficult for him to breathe. The moment the plug was out, Sam got a bit of his feistiness back and started to fight a bit with the doctors. They went ahead and intubated him, just to give him a night off. The doctor feels like they might be able to remove the tube tomorrow.
This roller coaster isn’t day by day or hour by hour… right now it is minute by minute.
I hope my hunch is correct, but I have a theory that Sam’s breathing will improve dramatically with the removal of the blockage. And, this, in turn, will give him a lot more energy to fight off the infection. Anyway, that’s my hope — and I’m sticking to it. If I’m right, Sam will have some good days soon…
I love following Sam’s blog. I know this has been so hard on all of you, but continue to only hold positive thoughts for your precious boy.
I am up in Tahoe and would love to call you, but need your phone #.
Hugs, wendy B